Happy Birthday and Late Father’s Day to my dad, Rick.
Thanks to him, I doubt I will ever be a stripper, and if I was it would at least be for some kind of respectable reason– like to get myself through law school or something.
My dad also contributed to my borderline delusional sense of self esteem, which is probably directly related to the song he made up for me, wherein the first verse begs the question “who’s the prettiest girl in the world?” Well, it’s “Dara. Dara Laine Sussman.” The second verse gets into some heavier themes like, “who has the prettiest big, blue eyes?” This is the song’s opinion, not mine, but apparently it is also “Dara. Dara Laine Sussman.” I’ve heard this song regularly since infancy, if that answers any questions about my personality.
My dad can’t get all the credit for that… I got this Facebook message from my mom recently:
My dad should teach a masterclass in how to raise daughters because he’s the best. He’s been killing the game since 1988, and makes Carl Winslow look like the inspiration for the song ‘Cats in the Cradle.’
He’s a chill dude, a great drinking buddy, and I’m so appreciative of all my orthodontic work he paid for.
My dad, his mustache, and me at the park. Unfortunately, he is no longer rocking the Tom Selleck.
Reasons why my dad is the coolest:
- I am not, nor have I ever been a stripper. I feel this speaks volumes about him as a fatherly figure.
- The other day he said the following about Mrs. Coco T (Ice T’s wife): “Coco is just really likeable.”
- He has an opinion on Holly Madison, which is Hef should have married her, but she’s better off without him. Although I wholeheartedly agree with this, he came to the conclusion all by himself.
- My mom always says I would be lucky to marry a man like my father, which is so true because I have always thought that it’s important that I marry a man who will just let me sit and watch Bravo. My father goes above and beyond and actually gets into the shows. We can have a real 2-sided conversation about the Real Housewives of NJ, BH, OC, and NY, which does not go unappreciated.
- He’s the best drinking partner. He pays and he’s fun. I don’t know what I’d do if I had one of those dads that gets drunk and then becomes a violent monster- probably not making him a list of some reasons why he’s cool.
- He won’t even care that this list is 2 days late because he’s a chilled out dude.
- His birthday and father’s day come on the same day, so ya, know, two birds.
There are other reasons why he’s the best dad ever, these are just highlights.